Austin Voices has been a leader in gathering communities and campuses together to craft school reform initiatives since 2003. In 2009, for instance, over 700 people across the city of Austin took part in 32 AVEY-sponsored community conversations that were instrumental in the development of Austin Independent School District’s (AISD) new strategic plan. In AISD, AVEY has supported planning processes at Webb and Pearce Middle Schools, and at Reagan and Eastside Memorial High Schools, that have led to significant community-based turnarounds. Currently, AVEY is working with campuses in the Eastside Memorial Vertical Team, 4 campuses in the Lanier High School Vertical Team, 7 campuses in the Reagan High School Vertical Team, and 1 campus in the LBJ High School Vertical Team to develop ongoing school improvement.
At the state level, Austin Voices is working with school districts in Dallas, El Paso and Houston to lead and support community-based turnarounds. At the national level, Austin Voices partners with like-minded organizations to promote educational equity and sustainable Community Schools.
Services Austin Voices can offer your school:
- After school youth leadership and art programs
- Training on effective meeting facilitation
- Development of Family Resource Centers providing wraparound services
- Adult education and parent training
- Improvement of student and family support coordination
- Community needs and asset mapping
- Comprehensive Community School planning and implementation
- Large community event planning and coordination
- Community partner development
- Training in education policy advocacy
Contact Allen Weeks, AVEY Executive Director, for more information at email@example.com.