Austin Voices believes that schools should not have to “go it alone” when it comes to student academic success. The responsibility belongs to the whole community, from the grassroots to community partners to local government and business.
AVEY works to connect schools to the energy and resources these partners can bring to the campus, and to coordinate and organize these supports through the Community School model.
Examples of community involvement at AVEY campuses include:
- AVEY-sponsored community events and resource fairs, such as HopeFest, Harvest Fest, STEM Fest and the annual St. John Unity Walk
- Monthly community school alliance meetings for partners four locations in Austin.
- Community conversations around education, including community school planning.
- Building collaborative partnerships with Austin ISD, City of Austin, Travis County, local businesses, nonprofits and faith communities.
- Linking schools to neighborhood associations.
- Community asset mapping, helping schools connect to resources and businesses.
- Special projects, such facilitating the new Allan Center, which includes early childhood and STEM resources for the community.
- Eastside Memorial Vertical Team (STEM Focus)
- Reagan Early College High School Vertical Team (Partnership with Education Austin, AFT Innovation Fund and NEA)
- Lanier High School Vertical Team (Full Service Community School Grant)